Tabassum Fatima Hashmi (born on 4th November 1971) is known popularly by the mononym Tabu. She is an Indian film actress who primarily works in the Hindi or Bollywood film industry. She also has done Telegu, Tamil, Malayalam, English, Bengali and Marathi language films.
She has won two National Film Awards for Best Actress and six Filmfare Awards including a record of four Critics Awards for Best Actress. In 2011, she was awarded the fourth highest civilian honour of the country, Padma Shri by the Government of India.
Tabu Actress, Age, Biography, Wiki
|Name||Tabassum Fatima Hashmi|
|Height||172cm or 1.74m or 5’8½”|
|Weight||65kg or 143lbs|
|Eye colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||4th November 1971 (48 years as of 2020)|
|Birthplace||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Hometown||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|School||St. Ann’s High School, Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|College||St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Educational Qualifications||Graduate in Electronics|
|Debut||Bollywood: Hum Naujawan in 1985 as a child artist, Telegu: Coolie No. 1 in 1991|
|Father||Jamal Hashmi (Actor)|
|Mother||Rizwana (School teacher)|
|Sister||Farah Naaz (elder, actress)|
|Address||Anukul, 2nd Floor, 7 Bungalows, Andheri West, Mumbai 400058|
|Hobbies||Writing, collecting perfumes and reading books|
|Affairs||Sajid Nadiawala ( director and producer), Sanjay Kapoor (actor and producer) and Akkineni Nagarjuna (Telegu actor)|
|Current relationship status||Single|
Early life and Background
Tabu was born to father Jamal Hashmi and mother Rizwana in a Hyderabadi Muslim family. Her father is an actor and mother is a school teacher. Her parents divorced soon after she was born.
Her maternal grandparents were retired professors who ran a school. Her grandfather Mohammed Ahsan was a Mathematics professor and her grandmother was an English Literature professor. She did her schooling from St. Ann’s High School in Secunderabad. The actress moved to Mumbai in 1983 and studied at St. Xavier’s College for two years.
The star is the niece of actress Shabana Azmi, Tanvi Azmi and Baba Azmi. Her elder sister is actress Farah Naaz. She speaks Hindi, English, Telegu, Marathi, Spanish and Bengali fluently and can also speak French, Tamil and Malayalam.
|Film||Golmaal ( 1979)|
|Colour||Blue and white|
Tabu did a small cameo in Bazaar and later in Hum Naujawan at the age of fourteen. Her first role as an actress came with Telegu Film Coolie No. 1 with Venkatesh. She went on to do an array of films ever since such as Prem, Pehla Pehla Pyaar, Vijaypath, Saajan Chale Sasural, Jeet, Border etc.
In 2000 she did Hera Pheri and Astiva and a number of other films. Tabu’s critically acclaimed performance include Maachis, Kaalapani, Kadhal Desam, Virasat, Hu Tu Tu, Kandukondain Kandukondain, Astiva, Chandni Bar, Maqbool, Cheeni Kum, Haider, Drishyam and Andhadhun.
She has also played leading and supporting roles in several commercial successes including Coolie No. 1, Vijaypath, Ninne Pelladata, Saajan Chale Sasural, Chachi 420, Biwi No. 1, Hum Sath Sath Hain, Hera Pheri, Jai Ho, Golmaal Again and De De Pyaar De. Her international projects include a leading role in Mira Nair’s drama The Namesake in 2007 and a supporting role in Ang Lee’s highly successful adventure film Life of Pi in 2012.
- Bazaar in 1982
- Hum Naujawan in 1985
- Coolie No. 1 in 1991
- Mashooq in 1992
- Pehla Pehla Pyar and Vijaypath in 1994
- Prem, Saajan Ki Baahon Mein, Sisindri and Haqeeqat in 1995
- Himmat, Kadhal Desam, Tu Chor Main Sipahi, Jeet, Kaalapani, Maachis, Saajan Chale Sasural and Ninne Pelladata in 1996
- Darmiyaan: In Between, Virasat, Border, Iruvar and Chachi 420 in 1997
- Aavida Maa Aavide, Thaayin Manikodi and Hanuman in 1998
- Hu Tu Tu, Biwi No. 1, Kohram, Hum Saath Saath Hai and Thakshak in 1999
- Hera Pheri, Kandukondain Kandukondain, Tarkieb, Dil Pe Mat Le Yaar, Shikari, Astiva, Ghaath, Snegithiye and Cover Story in 2000
- Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya, Chandni Bar and Aamdani Atthani Kharcha Rupaiyaa in 2001
- Maa Tujhe Salaam, Filhaal…, Chennakesava Reddy, Zindagi Khoobsurat Hai and Saathiya in 2002
- Abar Aranye, Khanjar: The Knife, Hawa, Jaal: The trap and Maqbool in 2003
- Main Hoon Na and Meenaxi: A Tale of Three Cities in 2004
- Bhagmati, Andarivaadu and Silsiilay in 2005
- Shock, Fanaa and The Namesake in 2006
- Sarhad Paar, Rakkilippattu, Cheeni Kum and Om Shanti Om in 2007
- Idi Sangathi and Pandurangadu in 2008
- Toh Baat Pakki! and Khuda Kasam in 2010
- Urumi in 2011
- Life of Pi in 2012
- David in 2013
- Jai Ho and Haider in 2014
- Drishyam and Talvar in 2015
- Fitoor in 2016
- Golmaal Again in 2017
- Missing, Andhadhun and Sanju in 2018
- De De Pyaar De and Bharat in 2019
- Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo, Jawaani Janemaan and Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 in 2020
- A Suitable Boy in 2020 on BBC One series
Blackbuck hunting Controversy
Tabu was charged with poaching two blackbucks on the outskirts of Kankani village in Jodhpur district of Rajasthan in 1998 during the filming of Hum Saath Saath Hain along with co-stars Salman Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Sonali Bendre and Neelam Kothari. A lower court charged her with the others under the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972 and the IPC.
She filed a revised petition before a session’s Court which discharged her of Section 51 of Wildlife Act and both 147 and 149 of the Indian Penal Code. The Rajasthan Government then filed a revised petition before the Rajasthan High Court at Jodhpur which again added Section 149 against her which was dropped earlier.
In December 2012, the Jodhpur Court called upon her and all the accused of the commencement of the trial with the revised charges on 4th February 2013. Even though Tabassum was acquitted in the blackbuck poaching case on 5th April 2018, the Rajasthan Court issued her with notice, challenging her acquittal on 11th March 2019.
- Tabu’s parents divorced while she was an infant. When asked about her father the actor says she has never met him nor does she wants to ever meet him.
- She is the niece of popular actress Shabana Azmi and cinematographer Baba Azmi.
- The actor has acted in a number of movies as a child artist. She appeared in 1982 film Bazaar and 1985 film Hum Naujawan.
- Tabu is a pure vegan.
- Tabu hasn’t ever changed her hairstyle, her hair remains the same all through her works as a result.
- The star is a gym freak and regularly goes to the gym and practices Yoga.
- Among many popular actresses, her lifestyle is the simplest.