Kanika Kapoor (born 21 August 1978) is an Indian singer. The singer was born and raised in Lucknow and lived there until she married businessman Raj Chandok in 1997 and moved to London. She has three children. The singer always wanted to become a singer but got caught up in her personal life. In 2012 after getting a divorce from her husband she moved to Mumbai in order to pursue her singing career.
Table of Contents
Kanika Kapoor Singer, Biography, Songs, Career
|165cm or 1.65m or 5’5”
|56kg or 123lbs
|Jugni Ji in 2012
|Date of birth
|21st August 1978 (41 years as of 2020)
|Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
|Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
|Loreto Convent, Lucknow
|Bhatkhande Music Institute, Lucknow
|BA and MA in Music
|Yoga and singing
|Raj Chandok(m. 1977-2012)
|Aayana and Samara
|Rajeev Kapoor (businessman of electrical trading)
|Poonam Kapoor (owns a boutique)
|Sasha (company owner in London)
|Pandit Ganesh Prasad Mishra
Early life and background
Kanika was born in Lucknow to parents Rajeev Kapoor and Poonam Kapoor. Her father is a businessman and her mother owns a boutique. She was born and brought up in a Khatri family. At the age of 12, Kanika started studying classical music under musician Pandit Ganesh Prasad Mishra from Varanasi.
Kapoor participated in a number of shows with her master and also in several musical shows in her school. She also did a stint with All India Radio at the age of 15 and accompanies singer Anup Jalota in his shows. She did her B.A. and Master in Music from Bhatkhande Music Institute in Lucknow.
Kanika married London based businessman Raj Chandok in 1997 and moved to London with him, where she had three children with him. The couple divorced in 2012 after which Kanika moved back to India to her parents home and later decided to pursue her singing career.
Kanika Kapoor tested positive for COVID-19 on 20th March 2020, becoming the first Bollywood star to get the virus. She returned to India after visiting London on 9th March. Despite speculations, she didn’t test for the disease and also threw a party at Lucknow for her family and friends.
She has had attended three parties upon her return as stated by her father to which she denied. She singer has also met the former chief minister of Rajasthan, Vasundhara Raje and her son during the time period. They remained in isolation until their results came negative, as tweeted by the former minister.
The party in speculation was attended by several prominent personalities and bureaucrats who went into isolation as soon as the singer made her results public. A guest of the Party, Dushyant Singh also had met the President of India as a result of which all plans and engagements of the Rashtrapati Bhawan were cancelled indefinitely.
During her test, she didn’t at all cooperate with the hospital and did tests on 20th,23rd, 24th and 27th due to her doubts regarding the process. She was seen playing Holi in a video that went viral in social media, showing her carelessness and lying to the fact of attending any social event during the time period.
The chief medical officer lodged a complaint against the singer and said how she was detected with the Virus at Lucknow airport on March 14th and was asked to stay in isolation which she didn’t follow through.
The complaint was filed under Sections 188, 269 and 270 of the Indian Penal Code.
- Cuisine – Chinese
- Food – Aloo paratha
- Sweet dish – Kesar Jalebi
- Actor – Hrithik Roshan and Leonardo DiCaprio
- Actress – Deepika Padukone
- Musicians – A.R Rahman, Vishal Shekhar, Meet Bros, Shakira, Beyoncé, Jennifer Lopez and Justin Bieber
- Lyricist – Shabbir Ahmed
- Designer – Peter Dundas, Manish Malhotra, Rohit Bal and Christian Laqua
- Singer – Lata Mangeshkar, Udit Narayan, Alka Yagnik and Justin Bieber
In 2012, Kanika started her music career with the music video Jugni Ji, featuring Dr Zeus. The album earned her the Brit Asia TV music award for Best Single. She sang the song Baby Doll from Ragini MMS 2 with Meet Bro’s in 2014, marking her Bollywood debut. She won Mirchi Music award for number one song of the year, Filmfare award for best female playback singer for the song.
The same year she did the song Lovely with Dr Zeus along with Vishal-Shekhar. In 2015 she did the song Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan, Desi looks, Nachan Farrate, Neendein Khul Jati hai and sang the welcome song titled Hello Namaste for Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi when he visited the UK, at the Wembley Stadium in London on 13 November 2015. The artist regularly takes part in live shows and concerts. In 2016, she paired up with Amit Trivedi and Raghav Sachar.
She has also been a part of a Children’s NGO, as a brand ambassador. She has also launched her own fashion brand Kanika Kapoor: House of Chikankari to help female artisans in Lucknow and develop the art of designs. In 2016 she was made the brand ambassador of Swiss watch manufacturer 88 Rue du Rhone, a brand by Raymond Weil. In 2016 she was also the judge of a singing reality show called The Voice season 3.
- Kanika is a trained Kathak dancer.
- Kanika has a large extended family in Lucknow.
- Her father is a third-generation electrical trade businessman in the family.
- Her mother Poonam runs a boutique named Kalakrutti and is an established exporter of Chikan work.
- The singer got a chance to sing on the All India Radio at the age of 11.
- Anup Jalota, the singer is the childhood friend of her father.
- At the age of 18, she got married to London based businessman Dr.Raj Chandok whom she met at her cousin’s wedding in Khajuraho.
- She gave up singing due to her husband’s family restrictions.
- Kanika got a divorce in 2012 after getting cheated by her husband.
- Kanika lives at a small apartment in Knightsbridge, London.
- Her elder brother Sasha was the classmate of Harmeet Singh from the Meet Bros duo.
- The star initially moved to India with her children after her divorce but since her children couldn’t adapt to the environment they went back.
- Her children have British citizenship.
- In 2015, during Narendra Modi’s UK visit, Kanika sang the welcome song.
- Kanika Kapoor is the first among Bollywood stars to test positive in the Corona epidemic.